In the October 2011 CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) Vital Signs titled “Drinking and Driving: A Threat to Everyone” there are a variety of notable statistics concerning the problem of drinking and driving; facts about the impact of alcohol on sobriety; and discussions about preventative measures that can be taken to discourage and/or eliminate DUIs.
While the entire document is highly worthwhile reading, here are a couple of excerpts that seem particularly notable:
US adults drank too much and got behind the wheel about 112 million times in 2010. Though episodes of driving after drinking too much (“drinking and driving”) have gone down by 30% during the past 5 years, it remains a serious problem in the US. Alcohol-impaired drivers* are involved in about 1 in 3 crash deaths, resulting in nearly 11,000 deaths in 2009.
Certain groups are more likely to drink and drive than others.
- Men were responsible for 4 in 5 episodes (81%) of drinking and driving in 2010.
- Young men ages 21-34 made up only 11% of the U.S. adult population in 2010, yet were responsible for 32% of all instances of drinking and driving.
- 85% of drinking and driving episodes were reported by people who also reported binge drinking. Binge drinking means 5 or more drinks for men or 4 or more drinks for women during a short period of time.
also seen in the bulletin:
Your best defense against a drunk driver is to buckle up every time.
- Every person in every seat should be buckled up on every trip. Seat belts reduce serious injuries and deaths from crashes by about 50%.
- Primary enforcement seat belt laws allow police to stop vehicles just because someone is not wearing a seat belt. These state laws are effective in increasing seat belt use.
Elman Law Group LLC concentrates in Personal Injury and Wrongful Death cases involving car accidents as well as other types of transportation-related accidents (bike, bus, motorcycle, pedestrian, truck, etc.). This intense focus, along with decades of experience practicing case law in Illinois, allows us to consistently achieve winning verdicts and settlements for our clients.
If you or a relative have been injured or killed in an accident, call 773-392-8182 at any time for a free consultation to discuss your rights. There is no fee for this consultation.