In the months of March, April, and May, often (depending upon the weather) more people will become active in bicycling in Lake County.
There are many factors that bicyclists should consider, especially in the early part of the bicycling season. Most riders have not been active bicyclists for a number of months.
“Safe bicycling,” especially if it is done in traffic, depends on a number of factors that can vary significantly at any given time. Here are a few general factors that bicyclists should consider with regard to early-season riding:
- There may be road salt and gravel (from snowplowing) still on roads, streets and expressways. If salt and gravel is still present on pavement, this can significantly impact stopping distances during braking, especially for those who are bicycling at higher speeds.
- Roads and streets likely have new or worsened potholes and other road deformities that have developed over the winter. As such, bicyclists who haven’t been active throughout the winter may not be aware of these newly-formed road deformities. Often, these potholes and other road deformities may not be (fully) fixed until later in the spring, or perhaps later. As such, bicyclists should be vigilant for these potential road hazards.
- For the first ride of the season, bicyclists may want to be extra careful, as they may have to somewhat re-familiarize themselves with regard to bike handling and riding if the bicycling is done in traffic.
- Be sure that the bicycle is in proper working order and has been properly maintained. Since the bicycle likely has been sitting for a number of months , it is important to make sure that the bicycle is in proper working order.
- Bicyclist awareness: In the early bicycle season, motorists may not be fully aware of bicyclists, as bicyclists haven’t been active in traffic for a number of months.
Of course, other general bicycling safety tips should also be considered, such as wearing approved bicycling helmets.
Should you be involved in a vehicle accident, there are certain actions you should take in order to protect your rights. Elman Joseph Law Group has compiled a reference document titled “10 Steps You Should Follow After an Auto Accident.”
Elman Joseph Law Group, LLC (ElmanLaw.com) is a law firm that concentrates in Personal Injury and Wrongful Death cases involving vehicle accidents (car, motorcycle, bike, bus, pedestrian, truck, etc.) This intense focus allows us to consistently achieve winning verdicts and settlements for our clients.
Should you be involved in a car accident, there are certain actions you should take in order to protect your rights. You should not assume – especially without proper legal representation – that you will receive appropriate compensation for your injuries, hardships and/or losses. To immediately speak directly with a trial lawyer from the Elman Joseph Law Group, call (773) 392-8182 at any time. There is no fee for this consultation.